Locale difficulties [was Re: de_CH translation]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Oct 16 03:49:48 PDT 2012

Henrik Brautaset Aronsen <subsurface at henrik.synth.no> writes:

> Den 16.10.12 12:31, skrev Dirk Hohndel:
>> so why is our locale named no_NO and not nb_NO ?
>
> Here's the problem:
>
> $ ls -d /usr/share/locale/*_NO*
> /usr/share/locale/no_NO /usr/share/locale/no_NO.ISO8859-1
> /usr/share/locale/no_NO.ISO8859-15    /usr/share/locale/no_NO.UTF-8
>
> For some weird reason, MacOSX doesn't have the nb_* and nn_* locales in
> /usr/share/locale.
>
> That's why I printed the gettext lookups from dtruss in an earlier
> email.  On the command line, the locale will be "no_NO.UTF-8".  When
> starting from the desktop, the locale seems to be "nn" (or "nb"). And
> *that's* why I want aliases.  A simple "cp -R locale/{no_NO.UTF-8,nb}"
> would solve it.  (Or maybe some magic in subsurface.sh, but I still
> haven't had time to look at that yet.)

Maybe I'm completely missing what you are trying to tell me, but in
a normal POSIX locale world (for some definitian of 'normal'), if our
locale WAS named nb_NO.UTF-8 then your OS should search for the various
.mo files in
.../nb_NO.UTF-8
.../nb.UTF-8
.../nb_NO
.../nb.UTF-8
.../nb
So this seems to indicate to me that with this name for the Norwegian
translation things would Just Work (TM)

But I guess I am missing something.