Locale difficulties [was Re: de_CH translation]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Oct 16 04:43:50 PDT 2012

Henrik Brautaset Aronsen <subsurface at henrik.synth.no> writes:

> Den 16.10.12 13:27, skrev Dirk Hohndel:
>> Apple seems just confused...
>>
>> I checked again on my Mac and while I claimed earlier that I had no
>> Norwegian at all I must clearly not have been tired enough... now I can
>> see that I have
>>
>> nb
>> no
>> no_NO
>> no_NO.UTF-8
>>
>> which makes me think that it's the 'nb' setting when starting from the
>> desktop that is broken.
>
> no_NO is deprecated, I think the Desktop (almost) does what it should.

So how did you generate the dtruss output (if that's what it was) for
starting the App from the desktop? As I was trying to figure out the
bundling I realized that the German translation doesn't work when
started from the Dekstop, either, so I bet it's the same issue - but I
wanted to verify what it tries to load...

>> Ok, are you able to create a patch that implements what you need?
>
> Probably. I'll just need to allocate some time :)
>
>>> But we could rename no_NO to nb_NO regardless, since it's the Right
>>> Thing™ to do. And sort out the other problems while packaging.
>> That would certainly help me on Windows as it would now create a working
>> installer for Norwegians (I think).
>
> Just go ahead.

Already pushed.

>> Do you happen to have a Norwegian copy of Windows somewhere with which
>> you could verify that theory (after I push out the name change and
>> recreate the installer)?
>
> I have an English version of XP in Virtualbox, with Norwegian regional
> settings. Maybe that works?

I am somewhat unclear what the difference is between an actual (say)
German copy of Windows and a US copy of Windows with the German language
pack installed. The latter is what I am testing all this with...

Anyway, a new copy of subsurface-2.0.1-localized.exe is on my server for
download; I should bump the version number to make it easier to keep
track of things... next time.

The latest (size 8703831) should support Norwegian for you.