please test these binaries

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 09:43:34 PDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 7:04 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You picked a font that doesn't have the UTF-8 star symbol that we are using.
>>> Did you modify the default font? Can you try some other fonts to see if one of the installed fonts has these two characters?
>>
>> I tried different fonts (Arial, Times New Roman, Courier new,... ),
>> all give the same result. Also the font only applies to the dive list
>> table, not to the rest of the application.
>>
>> It's possible this will disappear once I install MS Office, since it
>> comes with loads more fonts... But maybe it's better to wait until we
>> figure out why this is happening.
>>
>> I'm trying to remember if I'm missing some windows add-on. But I don't
>> think so. It's been a long time since I last reinstalled XP.
>>

> default arial on windows xp does not have the stars characters. but
> windows vista/7 come with "arial unicode ms" which is the only windows
> font that has them.
> i'm not sure if ms office will install this font, but we can't really
> depend on that.
> one of the reasons i've suggested to include an "free" font with
> subsurface, or perhaps try alternatives.

One kinda workaround would be not to show the stars by default on
Windows, if the font issue cannot be resolved.

On the other hand it seems that there is no configuration option
whether to show the star rating or not. (For me the stars are waste of
screen area as I have not even tried them out so far.)

miika