Translations, translations, translations

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sun Oct 21 07:21:13 PDT 2012

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 1:39 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> Unless someone finds a critical bug, I think that's what it boils down to: translations.

I think you have made a mistake in trying to translate some of libdivecomputer.c

Translating some of those things based on locale is *wrong*, because
they are saved in the XML file.

That covers at least the warnings: they'll get translated when you
import them, and then saved to the XML file as that translation, but
now if you start subsurface in another locale, they will not get
translated back.

So translating XML file contents is fundamentally buggy. It just
shouldn't be done.

So all the "translations" for the event handling are buggy, and
generate crap. Please don't do that. Leave them as English.

                Linus