Subsurface 2.1 has been tagged

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Oct 23 03:52:57 PDT 2012

On Oct 23, 2012, at 12:15 AM, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-10-22 at 21:13 -0700, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> Hi everyone
>>
>> I'm happy to announce that Subsurface 2.1 has been tagged.
>>
>> The website has been updated, Windows and Mac binaries are in the Downloads area, things appear to be ready for our users.
>>
>> What is missing are Linux packages. I'd love to host them in the Downloads area as well - so everyone who has promised to make packages, now's the time.
>> I know we had people working on Fedora, Debian and Gentoo packages. Please let me know when you have them ready and where I can find them.
>
> Subsurface was approved in Fedora a couple of days ago, the version 2.1
> has now been built and is pending to go in updates-testing:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/subsurface
>
> So later today, you should be able to do
>  yum install subsurface --enablerepo=updates-testing
>
> But to be honest, I would rather recommend people to use yum than to
> download and provide the RPMs ourselves.

Well, different projects do this differently. Some have rpms available, some link to the build systems of the major distros and suggest that the users download from there, and some simply tell the users to use yum or zypper or apt-get to install the binaries…

And as I look at a few of the sites - it seems that fewer and fewer have rpms/debs directly available.

So I guess we should follow the trend and link to the build system sites / tell people to use the official installers instead.

For now I'll add a link to http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=14900 :-)

(I want to turn the Download page into something "prettier", anyway)