Statistics Notebook and dive numbering question

Jef Driesen jefdriesen at telenet.be
Thu Oct 25 00:28:54 PDT 2012

On 2012-10-25 08:22, Amit Chaudhuri wrote:
> I have two computers I'd like to use with subsurface.  I now use one
> as a
> back up to the other.  The first one corresponds to my earliest dives
> as a
> beginner.  The second has a few more facilities.
>
> When running both with subsurface it would be nice to be able to
> treat them
> in the following ways:
>
> * show all dives sequentially numbered (e.g. in date order) // but
> what to
> do about duplicates??
> * show only computer1 dives sequentially numbered
> * show only computer2.......
>
> A scheme which supports these options (and an option to
> detect/suppress
> duplicates) would be nice.

I think the right way to take care of this is to support multiple
profiles per dive. When you use multiple computers on a single dive,
this should also be considered a single dive in your logbook. I mean a
logbook is used to track your dives, not the individual dive profiles.

When I dive with multiple computers, the dive details (date/time,
maxdepth, dive time, tank pressure) is an aggregate of those dive
computers. For example my main dive computer (ostc) supplies most of the
info, except tank pressure (because it's not air integrated). So I take
that from my backup computer (cobalt), or fill it in manually (analog
pressure gauge). For this kind of data, I don't care about the (minor)
differences between the devices, and the aggregated data is all I need.
But for the dive profiles, it would be great to be able to view the
individual profiles from each device.

If this would be possible, the numbering problem would disappear,
because there won't be any duplicates anymore. After importing from
multiple devices, those duplicated dives would be merged (manually or
automatically) into a single dive.

Jef