help wanted from Windows and Mac experts...

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Oct 27 21:21:01 PDT 2012

I'm trying to make Subsurface easier to use, especially for first time
users. One of the challenges people have is figuring out which "device"
to type in after picking the right dive computer. We try to have a
reasonable defaul there for each of the OSs, but we can do much better
(and in case of the Uemis Zurich, we actually can KNOW where to look,
unless the user has more than one Uemis Zurich connected).

I implemented a little drop down box to pick the dive computer device
from (instead of the text input field we have today). The theory behind
this is that we usually know fairly well where to look. There are
typical device names (like /dev/ttyUSBx) - if they are present, that's
likely the dive computer.

Note, we of course never just access such a device. We just offer them
to the user to choose from. And the user can of course always override
what we offer and provide their own data (so no loss compared to what
they can do today). It's just that in many (most?) cases we can make
things easier for them.

This is especially true for the Uemis Zurich - it shows up as a USB
drive with the name UEMISSDA. I know how to figure out the correct mount
point on Linux and Mac (at least I think so - we'll know once more
people try the code I wrote), but I can't figure out how to do that on
Windows. There must be a reasonably straight forward way to get the
right drive letter for a USB drive of that name... maybe my Google foo
was lacking today, but I couldn't figure this out. Help appreciated.

You can find the code that I have here:

  git://git.hohndel.org/subsurface.git dc-device-selector

As always, feedback and patches welcome.