help wanted from Windows and Mac experts...

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 13:04:51 PDT 2012

On 29 October 2012 01:13, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> On Oct 28, 2012, at 3:43 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
>> On 28 October 2012 06:21, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>>> This is especially true for the Uemis Zurich - it shows up as a USB
>>> drive with the name UEMISSDA. I know how to figure out the correct mount
>>> point on Linux and Mac (at least I think so - we'll know once more
>>> people try the code I wrote), but I can't figure out how to do that on
>>> Windows. There must be a reasonably straight forward way to get the
>>> right drive letter for a USB drive of that name... maybe my Google foo
>>> was lacking today, but I couldn't figure this out. Help appreciated.
>>>

>> i guess, i could try helping out with that.
>> so DCs support both USB and COM ports?
>
> There are old cables that connect to serial ports. There are almost no computers that even HAVE serial ports anymore, so this will soon go away :-)
> Most cables today connect to USB. All computers that I've heard of (with the exception of the Uemis Zurich) appear to show up as serial over USB devices - so /dev/ttyUSBx on Linux.
> And the Uemis Zurich shows up as USB storage device :-)
>
>> if so this will mean that we have to go trough the list of USB drives,
>> find any known labels such as "UEMISSDA" (from a static table) add
>
> I believe that table has just one entry right now (which is what you see me do in the linux.c and macosx.c files)
>
>> them to the combo. then also grab the list of COM ports from the
>> registry and add them as well.
>>
>> such lists will look like:
>> H:\ (UEMISSDA)
>> COM1
>> COM3
>>
>> is this the correct logic?
>
> YES. That is EXACTLY what I am looking for.
>
>> i already have test code that does the above, but hopefully a single
>> combo box with multiple device types will not be confusing.
>
> I don't think so. It looks good on Linux when I connect all my dive computers :-)

attached is a patch.
i've tested by adding multiple serial (mockup) devices in the registry
and also by naming one of the flash drives i have "UEMISSDA".
the method seems to work as expected - i.e. the list is populated as
long as the criteria is met.
if no devices were found it defaults to "COM1" (was "COM3").

lubomir