pull-request: trip manipulations

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 11:45:39 PDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 7:39 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> This is a somewhat more massive change. It adds most of the operations
> that I think we should support on trips:
> - a dive can be removed from a trip (and made a top level dive)

Adding top level dive to a trip is rather awkward. Have to create a
new group and then merge to previous.

> - a dive can be turned into a trip
> - two consecutive trips can be merged

Merge trip with previous is mis-leading as it is currently merged with
the one above (with my normal sorting order this means merging with
next trip).
Possibility to merge with previous and next would be cool. However,
once merging selected dives or groups is implemented this might become
obsolete.

> - a trip can be split in two

If you remove a dive from the middle of a dive trip, the trip will be
split to two trips with a single top level dive in-between. (This
makes sense when you know the design but is probably quite confusing
for new users without background knowledge.)

> There are some operations that would make sense to allow on "all
> selected dives" (e.g., remove from a trip and turn into a trip), but I
> haven't done that part, yet.
>
> Please review for obvious stupidities and most importantly give it a
> good test... I've been banging on it for the past few days and currently
> can't seem to find any corner cases where it fails, but most likely that
> just means I haven't tried hard enough :-/

When opening a log file and enabling the grouping...you have to quit
subsurface and start again to get the automatic grouping
"initialized". It would be cool if the grouping would occur on the UI
when enabling. But if there is technical reason behind not to do it..
at least inform the user for the need to re-start.

Trying to import older XML file to current one results in a crash:

GLib (gthread-posix.c): Unexpected error from C library during
'pthread_setspecific': Invalid argument.  Aborting.
Aborted (core dumped)
#0  0x000000000041439e in fill_ws_list (store=0xe9dce0) at equipment.c:844
#1  0x0000000000414c35 in weight_completion_cb (widget=0x1249480,
    model=0x124013000000002, iter=0x414c35, ws_widget=0x7fff3dea3170)
    at equipment.c:998

I guess this is the same as sorting by any other column than date.

miika