pull-request: trip manipulations

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sun Sep 2 11:58:43 PDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Linus Torvalds

> Ugh. I really want you to fix the "auto-trip" thing. The whole "you
> need to exit and restart" to actually make it take effect destroys the
> whole thing for me, and makes these "let's fix up the details" look a
> bit ludicrous.

Btw, I think the auto-grouping is broken in another way: it just acts wrong.

The thing should be two separate things:

 - a "Create automatic trip groups from current dives" *action* (not
preference), as an entry in the dive menu.

 - a *setting* that autogroups new dives into *existing* groups (and
new dives only - don't do it at load time through report_dives() or
when doing "Open dives", do it only for the "import dives" or "New
dive" actions in the dive menu)

I think the two events are totally disjoint, logically. And I think
the *setting* should actually default to "on", because it doesn't
matter one whit whether you autogenerated the trips or whether you
added them all manually, once you have trips and add new dives, it
makes sense to assume that the new dives goes into a group you've
already created.

You might want to make the setting a tri-state: "no", "Auto-add to
existing trips only" and "Auto-create new trip if new dives aren't
close enough to an existing trip"

Hmm? I really think that would make the auto-grouping way more
logical. Now it just does odd things.

            Linus