Decimal values rounded on save

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Mon Sep 3 11:40:53 PDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> This can't be true. There's way too much software that uses gtk for this to be true.
> Ask on G+ - I'm sure there's a setting that makes it do the sane thing for basic C library functions…

Yes. You disable it.

You can use "gtk_disable_setlocale()" before.

The problem with disabling it is that that also means that now all the
*nice* locale handling that gnome would do gets disabled. So the
spinbuttons etc that you might actually *want* to be locale-dependent
also get the "C" locale.

Sad. It would have been much better if gnome by default took the
locale into account for visual elements (with a way to perhaps disable
that too), but didn't screw up the basic C library.

However, they do export g_ascii_strtod(), which is the "strtod() in
'C' locale", so I guess that's what we should use.

"F*ck it, we'll do it live"

             Linus