Request-pull print with no dive profile

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 15:46:58 PDT 2012

On 29 August 2012 12:27, Lutz Vieweg <lvml at 5t9.de> wrote:
> On 08/29/2012 08:08 AM, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:
> While the font size issue can certainly be fixed coarsely by using
> some other kind of unit, I have never managed to get really good
> looking printouts of any document containing lots of smaller texts
> unless the print function could actually rely on the same font, using the
> same metrics and the same kerning and hinting, being available on
> all platforms.

i agree with this,

cosmetics aside and while the rendering specifics will depend on the
backend, including a font with the application in general is quite
nice.
another benefit of this will be of using a default font for the application UI.

the above mentioned adobe font does not include them, but something
like deja-vu (open source) could solve the stars for the rating system
not showing (we've discussed with dirk before) on some OSes lacking a
default font with good unicode support for exotic chars.

we a default font the user will always see the chars, util he decides
to switch his default font...

--

i gave the idea of including a font with subsurface a quick go.
cairo handles this "out of the box" using freetype, however for pango

since, basically the font list which reaches pango comes from what the
OS provides, a obvious workaround is to add the font as a resource on
runtime with an OS abstraction (already present for the config).

windows (tested):
GDI -> AddFontResource

osx:
CoreText -> CTFontManagerRegisterGraphicsFont

linux (tested):
fontconfig -> FcConfigAppFontAddFile

once the font is available to the OS, FreeType can be used to quickly
retrieve the family and style of the face strings directly from the
font file and these can be used to create a PangoFontDescription.

slightly pressed for time, but if the lead devs. (linus, dirk) are
interested i can write a preliminary / example patch with the OS
abstraction.

lubomir