working towards Subsurface 2.0

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Sep 6 22:42:09 PDT 2012

On Sep 6, 2012, at 9:56 PM, Miika Turkia wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>>
>> - thorough testing of the latest version. Yes, we know about the strange
>> Gtk/pthreads bug on Ubuntu and MacOS. Are there other ways to get
>> Subsurface to crash or to do the wrong thing?
>
> Seems that the last dive on selection does not get included to "Create
> new trip above".

Is that with master or with tree3?
Can you explain exactly the steps to reproduce?

>> - are there features that you are working on and would like to see
>>  included in 2.0?
>
> I have the yearly statistics feature currently pending. I should be
> able to give it another shot and try to get the trip features
> included. So we could get yearly and trip based statistics.
>
> We had a discussion about displaying the statistics on the main
> divelist but I doubt I'll be able to do that. I am totally clueless
> with GUI stuff.

I'm worried that it might make the dive list too cluttered, though.
But since it's rather easy to do I could give it a try and see if we like it.

> Do you want this included in subsurface? Should I go ahead and include
> the trip stats?

How are you planning to offer those to the user?

Right now you can fairly easily do them "manually". Collapse all trips.
Switch to the Statistics pane. Click on a trip and select it - voila, trip statistics.
Select all trips in a year - voila, yearly statistics. That was actually one of the
first things I did after implementing trips :-)

So while I like the idea, I wonder how the user interaction would work as you envision it.