working towards Subsurface 2.0

Pierre-Yves Chibon pingou at pingoured.fr
Thu Sep 6 22:52:32 PDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-09-06 at 22:43 -0700, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> On Sep 6, 2012, at 10:35 PM, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> >> I am wondering - assuming you are the package maintainer of BOTH
> >> libdivecomputer and subsurface - shouldn't you be able to ensure that
> >> at any point of time there are always two matching versions of the
> >> packages installed?
> >
> > In the rpm world that would be no problem and I have no doubt that the
> > deb world can do the same.
> > You just need to specify
> > Requires: libdivecomputer >= 1.0.abcd...
>
> Well, that may not be sufficient - we've had several times now where a newer version of
> libdivecomputer breaks a build of subsurface. So the question is "can you keep them in
> lock-step?".

Yes we can do
Requires: libdivecomputer >= 1.0
Conflicts: libdivecomputer <= 2.0
Or even
Requires: libdivecomputer = 1.0
This last one would prevent an update of libdivecompouter 1.1 if you
have subsurface installed.

But we can also just update libdicomputer only when there a compatible
version of subsurface and use the >= x.y

Pierre