Multiple buddies per dive

Mikko Rasa tdb at tdb.fi
Fri Sep 7 15:40:24 PDT 2012

On 08.09.2012 01:24, Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2012, at 3:14 PM, Mikko Rasa wrote:
>
>> In my diving club, it's fairly common to dive as a triplet rather than a pair if there's an odd number of people participating on the trip.  At the moment subsurface only supports one buddy per dive.  Surely I can't be the only one who would benefit from support of multiple buddies?  I'm not sure when I can find the time to implement this myself, so feel free to consider it as a feature request.
>
> I dive with multiple buddies all the time (the usual dive posse is a group of five after all). I simply list them all.
> Yes, that makes the drop-down auto-fill box a bit of a mess, but it seems to work rather well for me. Having multiple Buddy boxes… that seems a bit odd, doesn't it?

I'll admit that with four buddies, the UI might get a bit crowded.  I
don't find it all that odd, though.  The dive editing view probably
should have a button for adding a new buddy, or perhaps auto-add an
empty buddy box as you fill in the previous one.  One option could be to
add checkboxes to the dropdown list so you could select as many as you
want, and display them separated with commas in the text field.  I think
GTK+ should be able to do this, although it would require overriding a
few default actions for the widget.

Data-model-wise, a buddy should definitely refer to a single person.

--
Mikko