working towards Subsurface 2.0

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Sep 8 07:11:30 PDT 2012

On Sep 8, 2012, at 12:40 AM, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:

> Den 08.09.12 01:09, skrev Dirk Hohndel:
>> User starts with more than one filename
>> - subsurface opens all of those files
>> - when closing it does... what?
>>   -- offer to overwrite the first (or last) of the arguments?
>>   -- offer to write (overwrite???) the default file? (that seems odd)
>
> If there are no changes, do nothing on exit.  If there are changes, offer to overwrite the the default file, with proper warnings.

Ok, I have most of this implemented - I need to make sure that I have the logic when to display a warning box correct...

>> The preferences could allow the user to set their own default
>> filename. If the preference hasn't been set, then it is
>> - ~/Documents/Subsurface/dives.xml on Linux
>> - %LOCALAPPDATA%/Subsurface/dives.xml  on Windows
>> - ~/Library/Application Support/Subsurface/dives.xml  on Mac
>
> Sounds good.  It might suggest ~/subsurface_dives.xml if ~/Documents doesn't already exist on Linux, since not all distributions use the Documents folder by default.

I would like a consistent default on Linux - or this gets just ugly.
This is one of the major shortcomings of Linux as desktop as far as I am concerned. With everyone doing their own thing, there is no clear structure and no defaults to rely on.
I actually thought that ~/Documents existed everywhere…

So people would prefer something like ~/subsurface_dives.xml to us creating a directory? I dislike cluttering the user's home directory...