working towards Subsurface 2.0

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Sat Sep 8 19:33:44 PDT 2012

On 09/08/2012 04:11 PM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> So people would prefer something like ~/subsurface_dives.xml to us creating a directory?

I do.

> I dislike cluttering the user's home directory...

Adding one file to $HOME does not clutter that directory any more than
adding one additional subdirectory does. (A directory would make
sense if more than one file was usually stored.)

> This is one of the major shortcomings of Linux as desktop as far as I am concerned. With everyone doing their own thing, there is no clear structure and no defaults to rely on.

I prefer the complexity of freedom to the clear structure of a
dictatorship :-)

The default that can be relied upon is that a $HOME directory exists.

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg