working towards Subsurface 2.0

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 08:44:18 PDT 2012

On 9 September 2012 18:11, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Sep 9, 2012, at 3:30 AM, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
>
>> i think long term planning will really suggest having a
>> "~/.subsurface" folder if more than one files have to be wirtten/used
>> eventually.
>
> No, dot-folders are for configuration files. I know that some software breaks that rule, but I dislike that.
> And funnily enough, Subsurface already uses a dot-folder. Under Linux the config file is in
> .gconf/apps/susurface/%gconf.xml

perhaps it should still go into a folder. if there are plans for other
files to be located in $HOME then $HOME/subsurface seems much more
reasonable.

>> but somehow i'm missing the point of this feature...
>> so basically it will ask the user to save file on exit, but save it to
>> this default file location regardless ?
>
> No. The file is supposed to be used as default file if the user simply starts subsurface without a filename (think starting it from a desktop).

ah, i see.

>> wouldn't storing a pointer to the last openened file (if exists) in
>> the configuration be a more elegant solution via a settings checkbox ?
>> this gives the user better control, since _he_ is the one who created
>> the file and not the application automatically.
>
> That is an option we could think about.

i think the two clash though, so if both options are implemented there
has to be a radio group in the settings:

[*] load default log
 *  load last opened log

lubomir