Multiple buddies per dive

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Sep 9 19:41:02 PDT 2012

On Sep 9, 2012, at 7:36 PM, Lutz Vieweg wrote:

> On 09/10/2012 03:43 AM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> What I do want to do, though, is to sort them alphabetically.  There is
>> no reason why "Linus, Justin" and "Justin, Linus" should be two
>> different entries.
>
> Some people would argue that by allowing arbitrary (non-alphabetic)
> ordering you could memorize e.g. who was "leading" the dive group.
>
> (I for one am ok with alphabetic ordering, but I know people who
> organize dives like battle plans and execute them as if they don't
> dive just for fun... and expect their opposition.)

I do both kinds of diving. On a deep tech dive with twins and one or more stage bottles it makes a lot of sense to have a detailed plan and follow it as closely as you can. Same goes for a wreck penetration.
Jumping off a dive boat in warm water to spend an hour looking at a reef in 15m of water… not so much.

I'd argue that you could either use the dive master entry for the 'leader' or add this in the notes. The buddies should simply list the people who were diving with you.