Importing data from gdivelog

Mikko Rasa tdb at tdb.fi
Tue Sep 11 08:43:31 PDT 2012

On 11.09.2012 18:29, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> Mikko Rasa<tdb at tdb.fi>  writes:
>
>> Before discovering subsurface, I was tracking my dives in a program
>> called gdivelog.  It was pretty much abandoned even back when I started
>> using it, but there wasn't much choice in dive log software written in C
>> or C++.  Obviously I'd like to import my old dives into subsurface now.
>>    Before I start writing an importer myself, I thought I'd ask if anyone
>> else has by any chance been in the same situation and already done the work?
>
> I haven't even heard of it :-)
>
> What format does it export / store the dives in? Something resembling
> XML? If yes, we have some pretty powerful converters for that. If it's a
> binary format then this will be a bit more work...

It stores the data in a gzipped sqlite database.  There apparently is an
export plugin interface, but the source tree doesn't seem to have any
actual export plugins.  So yeah, it probably falls into the "a bit more
work category".  At least sqlite is a well-defined format with an
interface library available.

--
Mikko