Pull request: A better windows installer

Ivan Habunek ivan.habunek at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 07:51:19 PDT 2012

On 13 September 2012 15:15, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> i will take a look at your "modern" UI implementation. i wasn't able
> to sort it out with the native windows version of NSIS (probably do to
> a silly mistake).

Yes, I found some errors I made and committed. They're fixed now. The
script and installer work for me both on windows xp and fedora (using
mingw32-nsis package). I will try it on win7 as well later today.
Don't have an installation handy right now.

> i'm basically using a custom NSIS for this distribution:
> https://github.com/neolit123/subsurface_win32
> also custom makefile for the application and even for the docs in that matter.

Can you share the custom makefiles, maybe in the subsurface_win32
project? Do you build on windows?

> there isn't really a good solution to the different version of shared
> libraries. for example, what the GTK website and third party sources
> provided for windows have headers and binaries completely different
> from what a linux distribution may have. in fact everyone building on
> linux may end up with different flavored set of libraries depending on
> his distribution...
>
> i think, a solution is to output the DLLs to a "dll" folder and
> include *.* from there, something like:
> File /r dll/*.dll /x dll

That sounds like a sound solution.

> when the user updates subsurface on windows, this may cause stacking
> of redundant libraries. what can be done to prevent that is to write
> the NSIS script so that it deletes existing all existing DLL before
> adding the new ones.

I have done this as well, the installer will delete any dlls found in
target folder before installing. However, when I think about this, it
sounds a little dangerous... Will think about this.

Regards,
Ivan