Pull request: A better windows installer

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 08:39:04 PDT 2012

On 13 September 2012 17:48, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> "Lubomir I. Ivanov" <neolit123 at gmail.com> writes:
>> i think, a solution is to output the DLLs to a "dll" folder and
>> include *.* from there, something like:
>> File /r dll/*.dll /x dll
>
> That might work - but of course it risks including a lot of files that
> you don't actually need. I had the hand crafted list in the original
> nsis file in order to get to a smaller installer.

yep, there could be an "essentials" folder which contains only the
absolute minimum and what is part of the installer.
everything else (dlls), which is build has to be sorted in a different
location somehow. :\

the hand crafted list is the most strict option and like that, however
like mentioned earlier each linux distro may have different libraries,
which will have all users editing the nsis file. :\

>> when the user updates subsurface on windows, this may cause stacking
>> of redundant libraries. what can be done to prevent that is to write
>> the NSIS script so that it deletes existing all existing DLL before
>> adding the new ones.
>
> Umm. I'm not sure I like that idea. Is there a risk that we might delete
> DLLs that aren't ours by mistake? Maybe if a user writes their own
> add-on or something? I can't put my finger on the exact scenario, the
> "delete all DLLs" just has me a bit nervous.

that certainly is an issue...
perhaps later on a suggested (in API / docs) "<subsurface install
path>/modules" could be in action for these, while the root should
only be used for the "essentials" and the main executable.

lubomir