Pull request: A better windows installer

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 08:52:41 PDT 2012

On 13 September 2012 17:51, Ivan Habunek <ivan.habunek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13 September 2012 15:15, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> i will take a look at your "modern" UI implementation. i wasn't able
>> to sort it out with the native windows version of NSIS (probably do to
>> a silly mistake).
>
> Yes, I found some errors I made and committed. They're fixed now. The
> script and installer work for me both on windows xp and fedora (using
> mingw32-nsis package). I will try it on win7 as well later today.
> Don't have an installation handy right now.
>
>> i'm basically using a custom NSIS for this distribution:
>> https://github.com/neolit123/subsurface_win32
>> also custom makefile for the application and even for the docs in that matter.
>
> Can you share the custom makefiles, maybe in the subsurface_win32
> project? Do you build on windows?

attached is my makefile for building natively, however it is useless
without the "linux_lib" folder which is around 100MB.
this is mainly because the concept of pkgconfig and (the tool itself)
is a bit broken on windows.
the cool part about it is that if someone needs to build natively,
will only need this folder present in "c:\dev\", a reasonable, working
mingw and the makefile.

i can upload it somewhere if you are willing to give it a try...
infact i do think i need to upload it since i did some bugfixes in
phtreads and this violates GPL2 (morally at least).
i also have "funky ways" of building libdivecomputer...

> I have done this as well, the installer will delete any dlls found in
> target folder before installing. However, when I think about this, it
> sounds a little dangerous... Will think about this.

it does indeed, but a lot of software does that when updating and/or
repairing an installation e.g. MS Office, Corel Draw etc...

lubomir