latest defaultfile branch

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Sep 15 04:39:21 PDT 2012

On Sep 14, 2012, at 4:31 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:

> On 14 September 2012 20:25, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>> Henrik Brautaset Aronsen <henrik at synth.no> writes:

>> You disagree with Linus and agree with me. Just to make sure that's
>> understood :-)
>>

> +1 for this common app. logic. :-)
>
> also it would be handy to show the active filename in the title bar.
> <opened file (filename only)> : <selected dive info>
> otherwise it can be a bit confusing.
>
> i don't think i will have much trouble helping with this, if it's agreed upon.

Oh, the changes are easy - I have this implemented already. But there are
some implications… should we move the Import option from "Log" back to
"File"?

Linus moved this the other way in commit 3cace090989b with the rationale
that importing dives from a dive computer didn't feel like a 'file operation'.
Yet of course importing an XML file is just that.

So the options (as I see them) are:
1) have Open not Close the existing file (status quo)

2) split Import into two menu items:
-- Import File (in the File menu)
-- Import Dive Computer (in the Log menu)

3) continue to have just one Import interface, but move it back to File

4) have Open indeed open a new file and clear out the divelist, but have
no easy way to add more dives to your divelist from the File menu

I think I could live with either 2) or 3) - but 1) and 4) seem very inconsistent.