careful with the latest master and your 'real' dives

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Thu Sep 20 15:16:35 PDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> Something in the new time handling code wasn't as well tested as I hoped

Hmm. The time conversion functions themselves were actually tested
with millions (literally) of random dates between 1970 and 2099.

But the testing I did was just verifying that the new utc_mkdate()
followed by the (old, and thus tested) utc_mktime() got back the same
64-bit timestamp.

My test program didn't actually test any of the *users* of utc_mkdate().

I can reproduce it by just loading a non-trip dive list, asking for
auto-trip (which makes it all *show* correctly), and then saving the
result.

The trip data save is bogus, even if the dates showed correctly in the
divelist before the saving.

          Linus