[PULL REQUEST] A couple of small mods post the delmulti rework

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 12:54:46 PDT 2012

On 29 September 2012 22:13, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Sep 29, 2012, at 11:39 AM, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
>
>> i know this is bad, but there are no alternatives and i can make it
>> behave pretty odd without it on Ubuntu.
>
> Can you explain what exactly doesn't work the way you want it to work on Ubuntu?
> I don't find the code too atrocious, but I'm trying to understand what it attempts to do that isn't happening already.

here are two comparison videos/gifs:
win32:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1627980/subsurface/window_focus_win32.gif

ubuntu:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1627980/subsurface/window_focus_ubuntu.gif

-----

the patch does this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1627980/subsurface/window_focus_ubuntu_disabled.png

gtk_window_set_transient_for() moves the new small dialog always as topmost
gtk_window_set_decorated() removes the titlebar (otherwise ["x"] is clickable)
gtk_widget_set_sensitive() disables the back window controls since
also clickable

but i think hiding the title bar can be avoided if i try temporary
reconnecting the "x" button to a NOP while the forward is active.
not sure if this is going to work...

>> commit log snip:
>> -------
>> This is the same issue as 882cb159a46d5d9dbd0 (although now we
>> don't have "Import XML Files" within a dialog). It applies when
>> in the "Dive info" dialog.
>>
>> There is some sort of a GTK bug on Ubuntu 12.04 with GTK 2.24.10 that
>> prevents us from using the gtk_window_set_accept_focus() and similar
>> API to make the window behind fully inactive.
>
> My instinctive reaction is that we should report this to Ubuntu and get it fixed there, IFF it actually is a bug and not just a misunderstanding of how the APIs are supposed to work. We've had plenty of those as I am by no means an expert when it comes to gtk…
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'm not against pulling this, I just want to understand it a bit better.

i can't get gtk_window_set_modal() and gtk_window_set_accept_focus()
to work for a parent window by API specification in GTK 2.24.10 on
Ubuntu 12.04.

i cannot reproduce the problem on for Debian 6.0.4 with GTK 2.20.1-2
i.e. the background window is not clickable.

lubomir