menu and button images

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 21:54:09 PDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 2:13 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> Right now the menu and button images are a distribution choice - some
> have them on, some have them off. I kinda like them, but I wonder if
> there is a consensus one way or another.
>
> I'm looking at you, Linus :-)
>
> The patch below would turn them on everywhere (they appear on by default
> on Ubuntu and Windows, off by default on Fedora).

On my Ubuntu I have not had any menu icons on Subsurface. Also setting
these values with gconftool-2 did not enable menu icons on Subsurface
(/desktop/gnome/interface/buttons_have_icons and
/desktop/gnome/interface/menus_have_icons).

Applying the patch got me the menu icons (in Subsurface), but this did
not seem to affect the global configuration. And I did not notice
changes in other applications, some have menu icons some don't, no
matter what the global settings are. I wonder if restarting the
desktop would be required for the effect or if the information is not
totally accurate.

miika