Qt branch

Alberto Mardegan mardy at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Apr 1 06:31:23 PDT 2013

Hi! I hope that the apologetic tone of this message won't be too
depressing :-)

As I should have known, free time and a 8 months old baby are
incompatible, so my plan of spending 20+ hours working on Subsurface
during these holidays failed miserably. :-(

I think I'd be just delaying everyone else if you are depending on my
work, so I'd like to propose another approach: I have a branch here
which does just the setting up of the build system for Qt, which I think
is ready for inclusion in the main repository (in a separate branch, of
course):

https://github.com/mardy/subsurface/commits/qt

People with some Qt experience (and whoever else wants to try oneself)
can start developing on it already.
I will anyway continue working on my "wip" branch as time permits,
mostly to show how I would do things. I don't see much point in porting
all the menu actions now, for instance; I've ported one of them, just as
an example, and someone else can work on the rest.
So, feel free to have a look at my "wip" branch on github (there's some
new stuff there!), copy stuff from there, extend/complete it and push it
to the official repository. I hope that in this way we can distribute
the work and actually get something done.

If you need help on specific topic or would like me to start porting a
specific part of Subsurface, let me know; I can easily find some minutes
to hack on stuff -- it's prolonged time the one I lack :-)

BTW, is there a code review process setup? I would happily review
patches on the Qt GUI -- I think that this could be helpful to get more
people active.

Ciao,
  Alberto

--