Plans to move the build system to CMake?

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Mon Apr 1 08:33:11 PDT 2013

On 04/01/2013 05:18 PM, Tomaz Canabrava wrote:
> CMake has some advantages over Makefiles  ( specially being able to
> compile with different compilers that doesn`t supports *nix based
> makefiles, like MSVC compiller )

A compiler does not need to support a certain makefile format, as
it is the job of "make" to call a compiler, not vice versa.

And at least many years ago, when I was forced to use MSVC for some
job, it was no problem at all to invoke the compiler executable from
just any make variant available (I used "nmake" and later GNU make
for that).

> and also has a deep integration with
> Qt, understanding the moc files generated by the qt-preprocessor

It scares me when I read "deep integration", because a GUI library
(and even a precompilation helper tool like "moc") and "make" implement
completely orthogonal things, which should not require any kind of
integration.

Invoking "moc" from a makefile should not be a problem.

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg