Qt Mainwindow skeleton done.

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Apr 2 08:18:47 PDT 2013

Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> writes:

> People, just pushed to my 'qt' branch,

So lower case 'qt' is your working branch, upper case 'Qt' is the
upstream branch that I push to. I fear that will confuse you
eventually...

> the skeleton of the MainWindow, right now it's not integrated to the
> Subsurface, so to build the preview, please go to the 'qt-gui' folder
> and compile ( note that there's a main.cpp file, that will go away as
> soon as I integrate it on the Makefile. ), and if you have qt4, delete
> the qt-gui.pro, then run:
>
> qmake -project
> qmake
> make
>
> If you have qt5, don't delete the qt-gui proj, just run
>
> qmake
> make
>
> it will create a qt-gui application that's the base-skeleton, and now we
> need to start integrating things. :)

I obviously won't pull this into the Qt branch as is but it certainly is
a big step forward. Wow.

A few comments:

- don't feel like you have to create a 1:1 copy of the Gtk application
  There are quite a few things in the current design that should be
  improved upon. For example the Menus that we use right now make very
  little sense (there's this Filter menu with just one entry... that
  hardly anyone ever uses... then there is way too much stuff bunched
  together in the Log menu)
  I think this needs some careful thoughts and design...
  The big groups are (I think)

  File  Log  Divecomputer  Web  View  Planner  Help

  The Filter stuff should go under View. Anything that is about
  communicating with (or handling nicknames of) dive computers should be
  in its own menu. As should anything that is talking to web sites.

  I'd be curious what others think

- The Dive Notes need to be editable in place. It looks like that's the
  case right now (since things aren't hooked up to any data it's
  somewhat hard to tell), but then how does 'undo' or 'apply' work.
  i.e., if the user edits a field, when does this get updated in our
  data structures? And is there a way to undo the last change?
  This is one of the major shortcomings in the Gtk GUI (where you have
  to open this extra window to edit things - but that of course gives
  you OK and Cancel buttons to handle "apply" and "undo"...)

But overall this looks great!