Qt Mainwindow skeleton done.

Tomaz Canabrava tcanabrava at kde.org
Tue Apr 2 08:32:29 PDT 2013

2013/4/2 Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org>

> Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> writes:
>
> > People, just pushed to my 'qt' branch,
>
> So lower case 'qt' is your working branch, upper case 'Qt' is the
> upstream branch that I push to. I fear that will confuse you
> eventually...
>
> > the skeleton of the MainWindow, right now it's not integrated to the
> > Subsurface, so to build the preview, please go to the 'qt-gui' folder
> > and compile ( note that there's a main.cpp file, that will go away as
> > soon as I integrate it on the Makefile. ), and if you have qt4, delete
> > the qt-gui.pro, then run:
> >
> > qmake -project
> > qmake
> > make
> >
> > If you have qt5, don't delete the qt-gui proj, just run
> >
> > qmake
> > make
> >
> > it will create a qt-gui application that's the base-skeleton, and now we
> > need to start integrating things. :)
>
> I obviously won't pull this into the Qt branch as is but it certainly is
> a big step forward. Wow.
>
> A few comments:
>
> - don't feel like you have to create a 1:1 copy of the Gtk application
>   There are quite a few things in the current design that should be
>   improved upon. For example the Menus that we use right now make very
>   little sense (there's this Filter menu with just one entry... that
>   hardly anyone ever uses... then there is way too much stuff bunched
>   together in the Log menu)

It's just eayser when I never ever used the project before, I don't know
what's good or bad, a 1:1 copy is faster, then I can make changes later.
I'm already doing a big refactoration on the files ( instead of one big
interface file, lots of smaller ones ), so the code will be easyer to
change in the future.

>   I think this needs some careful thoughts and design...
>   The big groups are (I think)
>
>   File  Log  Divecomputer  Web  View  Planner  Help

As soon as the discussion about the menu is finished, I'll change it on the
mainwindow.

>   The Filter stuff should go under View. Anything that is about
>   communicating with (or handling nicknames of) dive computers should be
>   in its own menu. As should anything that is talking to web sites.
>
>   I'd be curious what others think

Me too :)

> - The Dive Notes need to be editable in place. It looks like that's the
>   case right now (since things aren't hooked up to any data it's
>   somewhat hard to tell), but then how does 'undo' or 'apply' work.
>   i.e., if the user edits a field, when does this get updated in our
>   data structures? And is there a way to undo the last change?
>   This is one of the major shortcomings in the Gtk GUI (where you have
>   to open this extra window to edit things - but that of course gives
>   you OK and Cancel buttons to handle "apply" and "undo"...)

I can make the fields reflects exactly what's in on the datastructure, it
doesn't need to have an 'ok' or 'apply' button, when I'm editting, this is
changing in the datastructure of yours, and undo & redo will work too. If
you feel like a 'ok' or 'apply' button is needed, I can make some, but I
don't think that's necessary. I think that when you edit and there's no
need to save or apply, it's more intuitive for the user.

 a ctrl+z can be used to undo the last change.

When you think it's right for a merge ? I of course didn't do all of the
windows of the program, but a base that can be used by other programmers to
hack on.
As soon as I finish the Makefile integration I'll start the 'Open File'
port.