Project directory structure

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Apr 2 08:50:42 PDT 2013

Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> writes:

> Dirk,
>
> I'm not against putting more than a class inside a file, but I'm against of
> huge files. :)

Me too (only my tolerance for them seems to be different than that of
many other developers).

> What about the folder separation?
> The core in a folder, the UI in another?

Given the size of the project that does seem a bit artificial, but I
guess I'm open to that.

> if the Core is a library, we can have even a UI for android phones using
> Qt5 + QML. o/
>
> Anyways, I created the mainwindow + friends in a bunch of separated files,
> but in a different folder so I won't mess with the current file-structure
> of the project.
>
> If you guys want me to change that, I can, but I'm faster programming with
> a bunch of files than with a long one.

I think I'd like us to strike a healthy balance here.

I am fine with
a) the UI being in its own folder and therefore
b) the non-UI code being in a different folder
c) having the UI files be smaller and focused on a few connected classes

What I don't want to end up with is hundreds of small files that define
tiny classes. If it's less than a couple hundred lines of code it
probably doesn't deserve to be in its own file.

Hey, Linus, I have the feeling that you might have a humble opinion on
this that with some gentle prodding we might be able to get you to
gently state here...

:-)