Project directory structure

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Apr 2 12:33:59 PDT 2013

Thiago Macieira <thiago at macieira.org> writes:

> On terça-feira, 2 de abril de 2013 11.49.21, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> writes:
>> > The Qt expert here is Thiago, I'm hust a humble servant. :)
>>
>> Hey, Thiago, you have a servant... cool...
>
> Oh, I know Tomaz. We've met before, in one of the Akademy or FISL conferences.
> I do remember he wouldn't stop hopping around :-)

:-)

>> > Don't mind using it, we just need to be cautious, and to not name things
>> > on
>> > the UI with huge names ( actionExportThingyToDFF for instance. ).
>>
>> I assume that to a somewhat experienced Qt developer this would be
>> obvious, correct?
>
> Yeah. An experienced Qt developer wouldn't use underlines in function names,

(well - Subsurface does that quite frequently (but not consistently))

> so those stand out clearly from the rest. Also, naming slots with "on" in the
> name is rare -- slots are usually named after verbs in the imperative (do,
> make, set, activate, minimize, show, etc.).
>
> So auto-connected slots are quite recognisable, for the same reasons that
> other developers would shun them.
>
> I just recommend that all developers run the application with
> QT_FATAL_WARNINGS set to 1 in their environments, to catch mistakes like
> renaming of an object.

Maybe we should add a Readme-Qt file that collects all the great advice
that is being rendered here:

- how these automagic slots work
- which environment variables to use for what purpose
- how to build (I'll migrate THAT into the main README eventually)
- tips and trick about the designer, maybe debugging hints, etc

I think the broader Subsurface developer community would really
appreciate such a summary. We have built some knowledge on how to
wrestle Gtk - a head start for the same with respect to Qt would be
great.