Project directory structure

Thiago Macieira thiago at macieira.org
Tue Apr 2 13:39:44 PDT 2013

On terça-feira, 2 de abril de 2013 12.33.59, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> >> I assume that to a somewhat experienced Qt developer this would be
> >> obvious, correct?
> >
> > Yeah. An experienced Qt developer wouldn't use underlines in function
> > names,
> (well - Subsurface does that quite frequently (but not consistently))

But Subsurface didn't have experienced Qt developers before. That's why you
asked for my help.

In any case, we can make an easy separation: C++ code uses camelCase, C code
uses name_with_underline.

> Maybe we should add a Readme-Qt file that collects all the great advice
> that is being rendered here:

Other projects usually call it HACKING and they include information on how to
develop, where things are, what the conventions are, etc. I'd say that a
choice of whether or not to use the automatic connection belongs in that file.

> - how these automagic slots work
> - which environment variables to use for what purpose

http://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2011/04/01/qt-hidden-gems/

Note the date... now, the question is which of those are true and which
aren't?

Actually, this is something I recommend even for advanced devs: run "git grep
getenv" in the source code and see what switches you can toggle.

> - how to build (I'll migrate THAT into the main README eventually)
> - tips and trick about the designer, maybe debugging hints, etc
>
> I think the broader Subsurface developer community would really
> appreciate such a summary. We have built some knowledge on how to
> wrestle Gtk - a head start for the same with respect to Qt would be
> great.

See also
https://plus.google.com/u/0/108138837678270193032/posts/PFi1ZC9kmmY

questions. We might need help with that when we start doing the model-view-
controller part. Unfortunately, the model classes are one of the trickiest
concepts in Qt 4 and 5 (yay for hierarchical tables!).