Question about number of dives

Jef Driesen jefdriesen at telenet.be
Thu Apr 4 01:08:11 PDT 2013

On 2013-04-04 06:56, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> On April 3, 2013 9:51:28 PM Island Draft <islanddraft at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I have just installed Subsurface and it looks good. I loaded the
>> dives from
>> my girlfriends Gekko and all went well but it stopped at 70 dives.
>> Her
>> history has 696 dives and only the first 70 downloaded. Any
>> suggestions?
>
> I don't think the Gekko can hold more than about 70 dives in its
> memory.

Dirk is right. The macdive website has a more detailed explanation:

http://www.mac-dive.com/help/index.php?title=Why_can%27t_I_download_all_of_my_dives%3F

The only thing I'll add is that the Gekko has only 8Kb of memory (yes,
that's kilobyte!). At the default sample interval of 20 seconds, you
need approximately 3 bytes per minute, plus a header of 14 bytes per
dive. Thus a one hour dive needs at least 194 bytes. With 8K of storage
that means a maximum of 42 one hour dives. Of course the actual number
increases if you have shorter dives, or have configured a longer sample
interval.

Jef