Qt port - baby steps

Thiago Macieira thiago at macieira.org
Sun Apr 7 09:14:56 PDT 2013

On domingo, 7 de abril de 2013 09.07.08, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> As to cairo vs. QPainter... through my job I have had the pleasure to
> sit through many heated discussions on this topic. My silly believe is
> that it will likely be easier to just stay consistent and use the Qt way
> of doing things (and the Qt-fanboy faction around me is telling me that
> anything you can do in cairo you can do better in Qt - I'll believe that
> when I see it). But I'm open minded. I was hoping that Tomaz, Alberto,
> Thiago and others will help us and guide us during the transition.

I have no idea about the cairo integration and I'm not such a zealot to say
that Qt does everything better. In fact, I know a lot of time was spent on
making cairo really good, so I wouldn't be surprised if is more efficient in
many use-cases.

That said, we go back to the Cairo-Qt integration. I do not know it and, quite
frankly, I have no reports of anyone using it (no one has asked any questions
about it in the 7+ years I've been on the Qt interest mailing list). So my
first reaction is that using the integration is a bad idea...

Yes, I recommend sticking to all Qt whenever possible. Another advantage will
be to remove the need to deploy Cairo and Pango on Windows.

In the porting process, we may attempt to use the integration and see how well
that works. If it doesn't, we can always paint in cairo to an image/raster
backend and then blit those pixels to the screen. At the very least, it allows
us to port in steps.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358