Tags are only shown if they are identical for all edited dives

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Apr 10 10:58:06 PDT 2013

Ďoďo <dodo.sk at gmail.com> writes:

> During testing the selection fix I found some some surprising.
>
> Why for multiple selection are "Tags are only shown if they are identical
> for all edited dives"?
>
> If nothing else, then it is inconsistent with the rating. Because  multiple
> selected dives I just took for the editing have different rating and some
> rating is displayed.

Correct, that is inconsistent.

What we do for other fields is that the ratings that are identical
with the one displayed are changed (so if your dive has THAT rating it
will get the new rating).

Doing that for the tag field felt very very odd. Do you only change if
ALL tags are the same? Do you only change a tag if it was the same
before?  Do all dives afterwards have the same tags? The whole logic
seemed just quite questionable - I tried a few variations and they all
resulted in use case scenarios that I found really hard to explain in
simple words.

So for ease of implementation I went with "oh well, let's punt".

You are more than welcome to send patches for a 'more correct' way of
dealing with this.

:-)

> I would expect the following logic: If I select several dives for editing
> then changed properties are set for all of them.

No, we definitely don't want that and that is not what we have
implemented for all the other features that you can edit across multiple
dives. And just as a side note: the Notes aren't offered for multi-edit,
either.

> The rating does not work that way but it is displayed.
>
> I think it is more useful to select 20 dives, first set common properties
> and then few individual changes per dive.

And that works. If you have 20 new dives (that all have no tags, no dive
master, no buddy, no rating) and select and edit them then you will see
the tags (since they were all the same before) and will be able to set
the common properties.

It's only if some of the selected dives already have tags that others
don't have that you don't get the tags displayed