Tags are only shown if they are identical for all edited dives

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Apr 12 17:58:37 PDT 2013

Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen
> <subsurface at henrik.synth.no> wrote:
>>
>> Looks good.  But we would maybe need to display the partially selected tag,
>> no?  I've seen similar tri-state checkboxes: selected (checked), unselected
>> (unchecked) and partially selected (checked, but in grey).
>
> Why?
>
> Everything else we do, we show and edit the master dive data. There is
> no "partially selected" data, exactly the same way there is no
> "partially same location". When we edit the location of a dive, we
> look at, and edit, the master dive location. Then, if other dives
> matched the old location (or had no location information at all), we
> update other dives too, but we very much have that concept of "master
> dive", which is what we really fundamentally are editing. The other
> selected dives are always about "ok, we *may* change them too, when
> the old dive state made sense".

Ok, after stewing over this a few more days I am able to actually
articulate the issue in what I think is a meaningful manner.

two dives selected
'master' has nothing set
'second' is a boat dive

User clicks on 'shore' dive and OK.

Master changed shore unset->set
second shore was unset => set

second dive is now both a boat and shore dive.

This may be LOGICALLY CORRECT. But from a user experience I find it
questionable.