Uwatec Smart Com

Jef Driesen jefdriesen at telenet.be
Sun Apr 14 12:13:36 PDT 2013

On 14-04-13 19:13, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> Hey Jef,
>
> you are the obvious expert to maybe help here...
>
> "himura.kenshin at libero.it" <himura.kenshin at libero.it> writes:
>> Hi Dirk,
>>
>> Thank you for your answer, but as I told you in chat, it didn't work. I still am unable to establish a contact between subsurface and my Uwatec Smart Com.
>> I tried also to change the file /etc/default/irda-utils of my kubuntu 12.04. The change was DEVICE="/dev/ttyS1" ---> DEVICE="irda0" and rebooted the pc. But no progress. Anyway it seems the error message is a little bit different:
>>
>> $ sudo irattach irda0 -s
>> $ subsurface
>> [4.000] ERROR: No dive computer found. [in uwatec_smart.c:193 (uwatec_smart_device_open)]

This error means that the IrDA stack is working fine (e.g. irattach did what it
is supposed to be doing), but when trying to enumerate the "connected" devices
no device is found.

Can you run the pre-compiled "smart" test application from the libdivecomuter?
You can download it here:

http://www.libdivecomputer.org/builds/linux/smart

It will output some extra diagnostics info (including all enumerated devices)
that might give us some clues. For example it might be that the device is
enumerated, but not recognized as being a dive computer.

Also make sure the dive computer is in transfer mode (I don't own any Uwatec
hardware myself, so I don't know if that is actually necessary), place it very
close and in sight of the infrared interface (infrared light can't pass through
objects), etc.

Have you tried the official Uwatec Smarttrak software (on Windows)? That would
confirm the hardware is working fine. I know it might be a bit inconvenient
having to run on Windows, but unfortunately the manufacturers software is our
(only) reference :-(

Jef