timestamp_t as string or similar

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Apr 17 07:25:10 PDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 12:43 AM, Amit Chaudhuri
<amit.k.chaudhuri at gmail.com> wrote:

> While looking at weekday & monthname functions as defined in
> main.c.....should declarations in dive.h : 636 / 637 not be extern ?

We do try to use "extern" because it's nice documentation (and because
it visually matches the declarations of any non-function variables),
but for function declarations it really is nothing but documentation,
it has no actual technical meaning.

The compiler can see that it's a declaration and not a definition from
the lack of function body.

There's a number of other function declarations that don't have
"extern": the sha1 ones, some uemis ones, and at least some of the
dive planning ones. I wouldn't worry about it.

              Linus