Subject: Re: struct dive_table dive_table and a wider view

Alex Deas alex at deeplife.co.uk
Thu Apr 18 12:47:12 PDT 2013

Dear Henrik,

Thanks.  We understand the internal XML format and that UDDF is simply the
preferred front end reader to the dive computer.     It did not seem appropriate
to try and export straight into the Subsurface storage format bypassing UDDF,
because as far we understood the Subsurface format was not intended as an
interchange standard.    What we misunderstood is that we thought Subsurface was
handling UDDF development as well as the Subsurface log browser.   Perhaps if
Subsurface had gone down the road of resolving the problems with UDDF, then
there may not even have been the need to be the extra XML storage format, and
everything would be very clean and tidy.

On Dirk's response of forking Subsurface, that is a last resort and not our
intent.   One possibility is us contributing an API capability to Subsurface, to
enable the sort of extensions I mentioned to be accommodated.   Subsurface seems
reasonably well layered so I would hope it could support that.   I can't see
anything on APIs or plug-ins in the Subsurface repository, but we are looking at
the feasibility: we are in no rush as we have the DiveLab tool which works fine
and can continue that as long as we like.

With kind regards,

Alex