making the latest

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 21:53:31 PDT 2013

On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 11:22 PM, Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com> wrote:

> Following the instructions on http://subsurface.hohndel.org/building/ for
> Ubuntu (debian), in the directions for libdivecomputer the command
>
> git checkout release-0.4
>
> fails but the rest seems to work.  Also, when I get to the make command
> for subsurface,I got
>
> larry at angelfish:~/subsurface$ make
> Configuring...
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/larry/subsurface'
> Configure.mk:87: *** Could not find qmake or qmake-qt4 in $PATH or they
> failed.  Stop.
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/larry/subsurface'
> updating version.h to 3.1-654-g67fec4da7040
>     CC deco.c
> In file included from deco.c:20:0:
> dive.h:9:18: fatal error: glib.h: No such file or directory
> compilation terminated.
> make: *** [deco.o] Error 1
>
> Do I only need to figure out how to get qmake and/or qmake-qt4?  I know I
> can't get them directly via apt-get.
>
> Help please?

The instructions for getting libdivecomputer are wrong on Subsurface
instructions. You need to get:

git clone git://git.libdivecomputer.org/libdivecomputer.git

The version on sourceforge is out of sync and should therefore not be used.

There is also something else in the instructions that needs updating. (I
did just compile Subsurface on my new laptop for the first time on Xubuntu
13.04). I had to install the following on top of what was listed on the web
site (README under the sources included also the libzip-dev but not
asciidoc):

libzip-dev asciidoc

You will probably get all the required tools by running following:

sudo apt-get build-dep subsurface

This should get you all the libraries as well, but since it is for older
version for Subsurface the aforementioned packages are not installed by
this...

The dependency on asciidoc is something I do not like as it requires 1GB of
extra stuff installed on my computer. And that is only used to reformat the
user documentation. How about removing the compilation of the manual from
the default compile target and doing it only when user specifically
requests for compiling the docs?

HTH,
miika