next steps (and sorry for having disappeared)

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Aug 4 22:09:49 PDT 2013

Yes, looking at my activity level in July one might wonder what
happened. It's a long story with many moving parts, but let's just
settle on "other stuff took over my life for a while".

I expect August to be only slight better (and partly that's a good
thing because I'm on vacation with my family in Europe right now), but
hopefully by the end of this month things will be back to "normal"
(whatever that is).

I pushed a few patches a minute ago. If your favorite patch wasn't
included than that's most likely based on the highly scientific issue of
"Dirk looked for a few moments and didn't see anything else". So please
resend.

Ignoring my issues, let's talk about a 4.0 BETA release. Can we figure
out a list of things that need to be fixed before we can ship something
out that's somehow marked as "hey, new and shiny, but maybe not 100%
there, yet"?

Here's my list with very little sleep (bad flight over, jet lag, jet
lagged kids, 100F/38C heat and as of last night a thrown out back) and
even less coherent thought applied:

- Mac package (I was about 80% there last time I tried)
- Windows package (still haven't managed to cross-build libmarble)
- autocompleting "tags" for Location, Divemaster, Buddy
- dive planner and 'add-dive' functionality still need some work

Linus, how are we doing compared to your latest "usability rants"?
Tomaz, what else is on your list. Same for Lubomir :-)

Who has actually used Subsurface master on dive trips recently and can
provide real life feedback on what still needs work?

OK, hopefully this kicks up some discussion.