SubSurface Enhancement Proposal

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 22:21:19 UTC 2013

I would like to see SubSurface evolve into a complete Logbook for a diver
as opposed to being only a log of the diving done by a diver. This would
require addition of data representing the diver and his/her equipment.
Ideally, the information about the diver would include personal data,
certifications, emergency info, buddies, and possibly other information
supported under UDDF 3.2.1 (see
http://www.streit.cc/extern/uddf_v321/en/index.html for more information).

 SubSurface already supports some data not represented in UDDF 3.2.1 and my
proposal also has a few data items not represented there. I do believe it
would be best to suggest adding those items to UDDF using the address
listed in the above reference. I will probaly make some of those
suggestions but could not pretend to know all the things SubSurface does
outside of UDDF 3.2.1.

 I am making this proposal using some graphics I have drawn up based on the
current release of SubSurface without intending to design the layout under
Qt. I tried using the Qt Designer but had too much to learn to complete a
design. I will try in this document to not only describe the intent but
also where I realize there could be a difficulty. Please remember this is a
conceptual proposal only.

     (see attachment Proposed_Diving.png)

 The only proposed change to the existing window of SubSurface would be in
the upper left panel where a tab, list box, radio button, or a double row
of tabs would allow the user to select whether they want to look at or edit
the div*er* logbook. It may well be that the enhancement would suggest
changes to the div*ing* logbook interface but I do not make those
suggestions today.

 While not part of this proposal, it is not a bad place for me to say I do
not care for the addition of a 4th panel showing a map I find too small to
be very useful.

      (see attachment Proposed_DiverInfo.png)

Note: I originally had a separate tab for certifications rather than using
the bottom panel here. I just did not go back and edit the various graphics
to remove that tab. In addition, if anyone wants to add some of the other
UDDF information for a person or buddy, it could be necessary to resurrect
the certifications tab and use the space on this screen for more data.

 Note: UDDF does not have support for certification numbers which amazes
me. I do plan to suggest its inclusion in one fashion or another.

 Issues I am aware of with this layout:

   -

   UDDF seems to define the Smoking (Smokes) field as a number of
   cigarettes per day which is not only a poor indicator, but ignores other
   forms of smoking.
   -

   The layout above is not adequate for medications unless that panel is
   single spaced or supports a scrolling list.
   -

   For that matter a diver could well have more than two emergency contacts
   or insurance policies.
   -

   Allergies are not part of UDDF or of this proposal. Nonetheless, they
   would be a good addition.
   -

   UDDF does have minimal support for medical history which I have not
   included as it seems inadequate.
   -

   While nothing currently uses a default certification, it could be useful
   information for creating a new dive. The left side of panel 3 is intended
   to be a set of radio buttons to select a single certification as a default.
   -

   Panel 3 needs to be scrollable for a diver with many certifications
   (e.g. I have 13).

      (see attachment Proposed_DiverEquip.png)

Panel 1 shows more detail about whatever item is highlighted in panel 3.
I've not decided whether the creation of a new item should be done from
panel 1 or 3 (or either one).

 I believe few divers would have more equipment configurations than shown
in panel 2 but the possibility exists. My expectation is that if the user
highlights a set in panel 2 that SubSurface would then indicates the items
which are part of that set by starring the left column in panel 3. Further,
should the user star or clear that indicator for any item, it would be
added to or removed from the highlighted set.

 Creating a new set would probably be dne by highlighting a blank line in
panel 2, adding the indicated fields and finally by checking the desired
items in panel 3.

 BTW, the window title should probably cage for all Div*er* logbook screens
to just show the name of the diver.

 I just realized it would also be good to have a default equipment set to
be used fr a new dive and nothing in this graphic supports that.

      (see attachment Proposed_DiverBuddies.png)

 I don't know of anything useful to put in panel 3 here.

 This needs a means to create a new buddy which would be consistent through
the UI.

 One could record a lot more information for buddies according to UDDF
(including a picture I think) but I've not considered any of that.

 *Final thoughts*

 As I have no experience with Qt, I thought I might be able to work of some
of the underlying C code for the requisite data. I saw a reference that
implied that Linus did a lot of that work, but if there are no objections I
could give it a try. after some more study of the existing code. Failing
that I could try to learn Qt and Qt4 Designer but that feels like a LOT to
learn at my age.

 I would very much like to know what people think of this proposal. I
certainly would not think to make it into one or more trac tickets without
positive feedback.

Added thought *not in the PDF*:  Some divers may be adverse to including
personal Information.  Certainly they need not enter any, but there could
also be a protected toggle to prevent its display or export.