SubSurface Enhancement Proposal

Mark Kampe mark.kampe at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 22:35:55 UTC 2013

I keep dive equipment purchase and service info in a spreadsheet (for easy
update and reference), buddy info in gmail contacts (making them easy to
call and email),  certification cards in a PADI smart phone app (with
electronic verification info), and emergency contact info on a waterproof
tag on my BC (where the person who recovers my BC or body will have no
trouble finding it).   I store this information in different places because
it must be acted on by different tools, and at different times.

I need a dive log to capture rich structured data from my dive computer,
annotate it with my personal commentary about the same dives, permit me to
browse, search and query that database and generate attractive and
informative report pages I can share with friends, students, and officials.

I can see adding equipment records to the dive log program, because all of
that equipment was already known to the dive-logs ... but I can get into
and edit a spreadsheet (or an ASCII text file) much faster than I can start
up a dive log program and dance with the menus.  But that may only hold
true for digi-geeks.