galileo luna

Jef Driesen jefdriesen at telenet.be
Tue Aug 20 07:38:22 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-20 15:56, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 3:52 PM, William Perry <wmperry at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> I spent some more time disassembling the JTrak jars that have a full
> IrDA
> stack in them - need to carve out some more free time to write a
> proof-of-concept to dynamically load those and get a memory dump.
>
> That would be seriously exiting!  Any findings yet?

I have looked at JTrak too, when I did the IrDA implementation. From
memory, they are using the open source Java IR library [1] for the IrDA
part, and some native glue code for the communication with the hardware
(MosChip MCS7780 and SigmaTel 4210 chipsets).

In theory it's possible to do the same: implement (or re-use in JTrak's
case) a minimal IrDA stack and interface with the low-level infrared
hardware directly. But that's a non-trivial task which, as far as I'm
concerned, is outside the scope of the libdivecomputer project. I simply
don't have the resources nor the motivation to work on something like
that.

And to be honest, I consider adding support into libdivecomputer by
means of loading the java libraries, a really ugly hack. I highly doubt
I'll ever accept anything like that.

If you're just trying to get a memory dump, then it's probably easier to
download the data on linux or windows, and then process it on your mac.
Or, as mentioned in the blog post from William's email [2], use a small
device like a Raspberry Pi for the downloading part.

[1] http://jir.sourceforge.net/
[2]
http://patrick.wagstrom.net/weblog/2012/12/04/30-meters-underwater-with-a-dead-physical-layer-protocol/

Jef