SubSurface Enhancement Proposal

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 23:54:08 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 5:16 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2013-08-23 at 15:16 -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:
> > I've waited 9 days in the hopes of seeing further comments.  I must
> > say I am truly amazed not to see more interest.  I and as many as
> > 2-300 others have had these features in MSDOS and Windows or Linux and
> > DOSBOX for 25 years.
>
> So if some of those 2-300 who absolutely love those features and
> consider them important will join us here and help develop the features,
> great. If they all just sit there (like you) and say "I want this, you
> have to implement it" then... I don't know, I don't think this will go
> very far.

Dirk, if I offended in any way, I am not aware of it.  I never said or
implied that I wanted someone else to implement it.  I DID say I could work
on it but I needed to study the current SubSurface code so as to integrate
decently. I also said those other users of my program "have had" (past
tense) those features.  I am no longer in touch with them.  My last
customer contact was in 2000 when I had to fix a small Y2K bug.

> > I don't like losing them but since I have no interest in forking and
> > all that goes with that, I guess they are not going to happen.  I will
> > continue to use SubSurface to get the import from many DCs support
> > etc. and perhaps I can still find a way to contribute.
>
> Excellent that's great.
>
> > Is there anywhere I can look back and see the reasons you have decided
> > to migrate to Qt?
>
> Sure. Google is your friend. You'll find long public conversations about
> why we decided to give up on Gtk and switch to Qt. And having found
> Tomaz made this a really really good decision.
>
> > Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages
> > to multiple recipients, use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy). Remove
> > addresses from a forwarded message body before clicking Send.
>
> BTW: bullshit signatures like this one make me think that you are just
> looking for stuff to complain about.
>
> But maybe that's just me.

I will definitely say it is just you.  I frequently have people tell me
they have copied that signature.  You understand I help a lot of elderly
and new user people who are not knowledgeable about such things.  I
definitely am not "just looking for stuff to complain about" and I do find
that opinion of yours disappointing and a bit offensive.  That said, I hope
we can all be amiable here.

--
Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry