SubSurface Enhancement Proposal

Robert C. Helling robert at euve10195.vserver.de
Sat Aug 24 03:43:14 UTC 2013

Hi

Am 24.08.2013 um 08:44 schrieb Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com>:

> I was not looking for anything right away other than comments whether people liked the ideas or not

Ok, you want my option. I did not reply as those features would be irrelevant to me, I would not use them. My (so far paper) divelog contains almost exclusively per dive information: buddy, depth time profile consumption dive site   vizibility dive number and most importantly free form text what happened. For new sites that are non-trivial to get to (as in inland sites you have to get to by car) I might log as well how to get there. Equipment I only log as far as I have a new relevant piece and possibly amount of weight for new suits etc for reference for future dives.

I carry with me relevant cert cards (to get on a dive or get a fill or rent equipment) and my doctor's fit for diving signature. As those are required in physical form there is no point in having them on the computer.

I can see why some people might want to have a database of their equipment but I don't as I also dot not have a database of my books etc. but that would be a database (or possibly a spreadsheet if that is you favorite data format) but almost surely not part of my logbook. Why my computer should hold my emergency information like next of kin or blood group I don't see as that information would be needed by others not myself and those people don't have access to my computer. That information is in a laminated card in my dry suit pocket. If I were the database person as above I might have a database of my buddies' emergency info but again I doubt the practical usefulness.

In short: there are many features subsurface needs more urgently. But if you want them go ahead and implement them.

Just my $.02
Robert