Qt version first impressions

Pablo Wolter pwolter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 14:51:37 UTC 2013

On Aug 27, 2013, at 1:20 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2013-08-27 at 12:43 -0700, Pablo Wolter wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> I installed the new Subsurface version today to try out the Qt look
>> and feel. Overall looks great on Mac OS X 10.8
>>

>> I followed the interactions in the README file and found the
>> pre-requisite of installing asciidoc is not yet added. I remembered
>> from reading about it in the list. Not hard to figure out too but end
>> users might not know that much?
>
> asciidoc is not needed. We just need to add that to the README. The
> error is annoying - maybe some Makefile magic to make it not try
> (instead of fail) if asciidoc isn't there.

You need it because if not installed, the make fails. So a tweak in the Makefile will fix it. Otherwise you have no option other to install it.

>> Also another thing that is really annoying, it deleted all my dives
>> from the previous version without any warning. It should be added a
>> data preservation mechanism. I understand this is the version to try
>> but anyway … I didn't know how to have the two at the same time ….
>
> It what??? It certainly shouldn't do that. I use the two together all
> the time. Can you explain in more detail what happened?

I just finished the compilation of libdivecomputer and followed with subsurface. After all was done I just clicked the icon in my dock who launched the latest Qt version … empty. None of my previous dives from the latest 3.1 GTK version are there now. All gone … ;-)

>> Anyway, I tried a few things.
>>

>> 1- Download a dive from my Pretel. Subsurface just can't see the
>> Pretel whereas MacDive downloaded the dive without any trouble. I have
>> successfully installed both libdivecomputer and subsurface from
>> sources.
>
> The Petrel is a Bluetooth dive computer. So the process is a little more
> complicated (and I am not 100% sure this has been tested with the Qt
> version on a Mac, yet).
>
>> 2- Try to import files … clicker the option under File and the
>> application crashed.
>
> I tried this just last week and it worked fine for me. Again, can you
> give more details how one could reproduce that?

I just went to "File" and selected "Import Files" and the application just crashed.

>> 3- Try to add a dive. I just added the Location and Buddy. Did not
>> realized you have to go to other tabs to add more info, clicked Save
>> and now unable to edit that dive. Not intuitive. Why not put all the
>> related information of the dive into one window? How can I edit that
>> dive without reading the manual? In my opinion that should be very
>> intuitive.
>
> What happens when you try to edit the dive?

Nothing. Never got any visual indication that I was in edit mode or something similar. Clicked around and tried to type some text in the fields but nothing happened.

>> 4- After being unable to edit the dive I clicked Open … don't know for
>> what it is but the application crashed again.
>
> It's to open a new file.
>
> But all the issues you report make me very suspicious that there's
> something else going on - are you getting odd dbus warnings at start?

I tried launching it from console I got this when tried File --> Import Files

pwolter at Pablos-MacBook-Pro:/Applications/Subsurface.app/Contents/MacOS$ ./subsurface-bin
QPixmap::scaled: Pixmap is a null pixmap
QPixmap::scaled: Pixmap is a null pixmap
QSqlDatabase: QSQLITE driver not loaded
QSqlDatabase: available drivers:
Dynamic session lookup supported but failed: launchd did not provide a socket path, verify that org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist is loaded!
startkdeinitlock(57573)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Error: standard icon theme "oxygen" not found!

QIODevice::setTextModeEnabled: The device is not open
Dynamic session lookup supported but failed: launchd did not provide a socket path, verify that org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist is loaded!
klauncher(57578) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server.
kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
Segmentation fault: 11

>> 5- Opened Subsurface again and my recently added dive wasn't there …
>> the application looks like as when just installed.
>
> Well - it sounds like it crashed before you had a chance to save the
> file…

I clicked the Save bottom before it crashed … so it was saved.

>> I think I'm going to stop here …. this is what happens I guess when
>> you want to try the latest stuff ….
>
> No, it shouldn't be THAT bad. Yes, there are a few rough edges, still,
> but I have used the current Subsurface on my last dive trip and things
> worked fairly well. So there's something in your build that is causing
> this.
>
> Henrik, any ideas?
>
>> Please take all this as constructive as my intention is. Sadly I'm not
>> a developer but want this software a lot …
>
> This is indeed helpful. I'd rather catch oddities like this now than
> after we release it. So your trials are much appreciated!
>
>> I'm itching to see the new dive planner because the previous (GTK
>> version) was just not intuitive and I never was able to make it work.
>
> Tomaz will love to hear that :-)

In the process to open bug reports in trac.

> /D

Saludos,

Pablo Wolter
pwolter at gmail.com