Import XP5 dive data from Seemann software

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Tue Aug 27 16:36:45 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 1:13 AM, Berthold Cogel <cogel at uni-koeln.de> wrote:

> Before I switched to a Vyper Air, I made a lot of dives with an old XP5
> (Seemann Sub) and downloaded the dive data to the Seemann software.
> I can export the dives as ASCII-Files (one file per dive). How can I
> import the dives into subsurface? Is there a converter? Or a
> specification for an import file format?

There's no "specification" for an import file format, but the native
subsurface xml is a very readable ASCII file, and subsurface will
import pretty much anything that looks remotely like xml, guessing (if
required) its way to something half-way reasonable. So turning some
other file into xml that looks even remotely like the native
subsurface xml will probably go a long way.

What kind of ascii files are the Seeman Sub files? Are you willing to
share a few examples (possibly together with screen-shots of how the
dive looks in the native software, just so that we can match up units
etc)? We've written importers for various things, and it's not
necessarily all that hard.

Alternatively, some files are so obscured on purpose (I'm looking at
you, Cochran) that importing them is totally impossible. The fact that
yours are ASCII

            Linus